Date(s) - 10/03/2021
4:00 pm - 5:15 pm
Do join us in our second seminar of the Spring 2021 Online Seminar series, dedicated to UK-Russia research cooperation, this coming Wednesday 10 March, to listen to a seminar delivered by Saule Akhmetkaliyeva (Head of UK-Russia Arctic ECR Collaborations, UK Polar Network) and Yulia Zaika (Russia rep in APECS and Head of the International Department at Kola Science Centre).
This seminar will discuss the ongoing successful collaboration which started in 2017 during the UK-Russia Year of Science and Education and continued with the organisation of joint meetings and discussions followed by the implementation of two (2019 and 2020) Arctic and Siberian field courses for the UK and Russian early career researchers (ECRs), as well as the current project “Arctic Science Priorities Project”, which evaluates the gaps, challenges and ways forward for the bilateral cooperation.
- Introduction (5 mins)
- Saule Akhmetkalieva with presentation “UKPN and APECS Russia working together to organize Arctic Interdisciplinary Studies Field Courses for ECR”
- Yulia Zaika with presentation “Self-reflection to the successful collaborations: building the roadmap for the future cooperation”
About Saule Akhmetkaliyeva: PhD researcher at Manchester Metropolitan University working on quantifying and characterising organic carbon in newly-developed soils following glacier retreat in northern latitudes. Her PhD project aims to elucidate the role of GOC as a carbon source in the dynamic Arctic and Subarctic regions by comparing carbon dynamics in three contrasting deglaciating catchments (Zackenberg in Greenland, Oræfajökull ice cap in Iceland, and Tarfala in Sweden). Since 2018 she is a UK-Russia representative of the UK polar network and is currently the head of UK-Russia Arctic ECR Collaborations.
About Yulia Zaika: Head of the International Department, Federal Research Centre Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences; Head of the Arctic Office, APECS Russia. She has been involved in international collaborations for more than 10 years of her career by implementing and participating in different projects of bilateral and international nature. Yulia is the researcher at the Luzin Institute for Economic Studies at the Kola Science Centre RAS and managing the INTERACT project at the Khibiny research station of the Faculty of Geography, Lomonosov Moscow State University. Her international working experience include the role of Secretary at the ISIRA (International Science Initiative in the Russian Arctic) Advisory Group of the International Arctic Science Committee (IASC) and the Book Reviews Editor at the Polar Record journal of Scott Polar Research Institute, Cambridge University.
- When: Wednesday 10 March 2021, 16h UK time
- Saule Akhmetkaliyeva, Head of UK-Russia Arctic ECR Collaborations, UK Polar Network
- Yulia Zaika, Head of the International Department, Federal Research Centre Kola Science Centre of the Russian Academy of Sciences; Head of the Arctic Office, APECS Russia
- Title: UK-Russia early career researchers’ collaborations: shaping the future of Arctic science bilateral cooperation
- No booking required.
- Venue: Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8951629892
- Meeting ID: 891 5162 9892